Applications for this position have now closed.
The Programme Assistant will support the Foundation’s core programmatic activities. The position also will involve supporting development of a new multi-year strategic framework and programmatic activities that are conceptualised and initiated to implement the new strategy.
The Foundation’s programmatic work falls within four thematic areas that are inherently linked and integrated:
- Peacebuilding and sustaining peace;
- Multilateralism and international norms and governance;
- Implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development; and
- Repositioning of the UN system.
The Programme Assistant position will be engaged in and support all areas of the Foundation’s programmatic work.
Responsibilities and tasks
- Support planning, implementation and follow-up for projects, including in-house and external events (eg seminars, workshops, lectures) through for example drafting invitations, making travel arrangements and compiling and disseminating materials.
- Contribute to production and editing of written material (articles, policy papers, reports, blog posts) related to the assigned projects(s).
- Follow ongoing research and events on issues and themes related to the Foundation’s work programmes and report back to Programme Director(s) and Managers.
- Coordinate and support projects and activities across all thematic focus areas of the Foundation.
- Participate in teams working on strategy, policy, monitoring and evaluation of the Foundation’s activities.
- Perform additional tasks in support of work programmes or administration as assigned by the Programme Director(s) and/or the Executive Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (eg international relations, political science, global studies). A Master’s degree is preferred but not required.
- Minimum of three years relevant professional experience, preferably with global issues, UN processes or development cooperation.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required. Proficiency in other languages is desired.
- Detail-oriented and the ability to take initiative to develop activities and to advance programmatic work.
- Open-mindedness, flexibility, the ability to be a good team player, and an understanding of the work of a values-based organisation. Ability to maintain professionalism, creativity, and enthusiasm working in a fast-paced international environment.
- Willingness and ability to participate in limited international travel, when it becomes possible and safe to do so in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Reporting and relations
- The Programme Assistant will report to a Programme Director.
- Internal: Support to staff engaged in programmatic work. Collaboration takes place mostly within project teams, but the Programme Assistant will also work closely with the Communications team and administrative staff.
- External: Collaboration with partners and external consultants as relevant to programmatic work.
Terms of employment
- The Programme Assistant will be based at the Foundation’s office in Uppsala, Sweden. (Note: At present, Foundation staff are for the most part working remotely in accordance with guidelines for minimising the risk of contracting or spreading COVID-19.)
- The position is temporary for a two-year period, with six months of probation. The salary will be determined based on the individual’s experience and qualifications.
- The Foundation offers generous leave benefits and a wellness allowance based on full-time employment.
- Pensions are stipulated in the Foundation’s Pensions Policy.
Applications should include a cover letter and a CV in English and be sent to email@example.com no later than 30 April 2021.