This year’s (14th) Annual EU-NGO Forum on Human Rights takes place on 6 and 7 December 2012 in Brussels. Co-organised by the European External Action Service, the European Commission, the Dag Hammarskjöld Foundation and the Human Rights and Democracy NGO Network it has a focus on Promoting Universality.
The two-day event will bring together around 200 representatives of non-governmental organizations, international organizations, academia, EU Member States and European institutions. For the first time a wide range of representatives from non-European institutions are invited to participate.
Discussions will be held in four workshops on:
- Freedom of Religion or Belief;
- Discrimination/Gender Equality; and
- EU Delivery Mechanisms.
Main speakers in the plenary include:
- Navi Pillay/UN High Commissioner for Human Rights;
- Surin Pitsuwan/Secretary-General of ASEAN;
- Commissioner Dupe Atoki/Chairperson of the African Commission on Human and Peoples Rights.
The Forum’s conclusions will be assembled in a public report which will be presented to the relevant EU Council’s working groups and EU institutions.
The Dag Hammarskjöld Foundation is a proud co-organising partner in this major event.